March 15, 2014
Men's Tennis Streak Ends With Tough 4-3 Setback to Seattle
Reno, Nev. – The UMBC men's tennis team saw its seven-match winning streak come to an end, as Seattle (6-11) rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Retrievers at Reno High School.
The Retrievers (9-4) had not lost since a setback at Penn State on February 8.
UMBC got off to a good start as they edged the Redhawks for the doubles point. Junior Kamal Patel (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley and Eliott Loubatie (Paris, France) won, 8-6, at No. 3 singles, but SU evened things up by capturing the No. 2 match, 8-5. The No. 1 Retriever tandem of sophomores Justin Carter (Randallstown, Md.) and Melker Svard (Gothenburg, Sweden) got past Lynch/Bedinones, 8-6, to secure the first point of the match.
But Lynch would rebound and edge Carter, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1 singles and Seattle took a 2-1 lead while Will Topp defeated Svard, 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 2 position. The see-saw match took another turn as Loubatie and Patel each won in straight sets at Nos. 4 and 6 singles respectively. Loubatie defeated Ian Claire, 6-1, 6-4 and Patel won a similar match, 6-4, 6-1 over Connor Leahy.
Retriever junior Daniel Gray (Bowie, Md./The Bullis School) rallied from a set down to square his match at No. 5 singles, but Seattle's Riley Newman recovered to win 6-4, 6-7, 6-0.
UMBC sophomore Alex Drean (Bayonne, France) was in good position to secure UMBC's the deciding point, taking the first set, 6-4, from Zach Kosanke at the No. 3 position. The two went to a second-set tie-breaker, but Kosanke took the breaker, 7-5, and carried the momentum to a 6-1 third-set triumph.
UMBC plays the host Nevada Wolf Pack (9-2) on March 16. Nevada blanked Seattle, 7-0, on Friday.
1. Kevin Lynch (SU) def. Justin Carter (UMBC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Will Topp (SU) def. Melker Svard (UMBC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Zach Kosanke (SU) def. Alex Drean (UMBC) 4-6, 7-6(7-5), 6-1
4. Elliot Loubatie (UMBC) def. Ian Claire (SU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Riley Newman (SU) def. Daniel Gray (UMBC) 6-4, 6-7, 6-0
6. Pattel (UMBC) def. Connor Leahy (SU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Carter/Svard (UMBC) def. Lynch/Bediones (SU) 8-6
2. Topp/Kosanke (SU) def. Gray/Drean (SU) 8-5
3. Loubatie/Patel (UMBC) def. Leahy/Claire (SU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,4,6,5,3)