Men's Tennis Ends Texas Trip With Setback at Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi, Texas – The UMBC men's tennis team dropped a 5-0 decision to host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at the Thomas J. Henry Center to complete their trip in Texas.
The Retrievers split two matches in the Lone Star state, while the host Islanders improved to 6-3 on the season. It was TAMCC's first home match of the season and only singles matches were contested.
UMBC fell behind, 1-0, as the Retrievers dropped the No. 5 singles match. Sophomore Alex Drean (Bayonne, France) got into a tight match with Guillaume Rauseo, but the Islander No. 3 player prevailed, 7-5, 6-3. At No. 2 singles, UMBC sophomore Melker Svard (Gothenburg, Sweden) also waged a tough battle, but also fell, 6-1, 7-5 to Ricardo Mayagoitia.
TAMCC clinched the match with a victory at No. 4 singles. At the No. 1 slot, UMBC sophomore Justin Carter (Randallstown, Md./National Connections Acad.) went to a second-set tie-breaker, but fell, 6-1, 7-6 (10-8).
The Retrievers return to action in the Baltimore area when they host Temple at 40 West Racquet Club on Friday, Jan. 31.
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 5, Maryland Baltimore County 0
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Justin Carter (UMBC) 6-1, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. Melker Svard (UMBC) 6-1, 7-5
3. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) def. Alex Drean (UMBC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Eliott Loubatie (UMBC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Daniel Gray (UMBC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Philip Kuehnen (AMCC) vs. Kamal Patel (UMBC) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
Maryland Baltimore County 1-1
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 6-3
Order of finish: Singles (5,3,2,4,1)