Men's Lacrosse Edged by Richmond, 7-5, in Opener

Men's Lacrosse Edged by Richmond, 7-5, in Opener

BALTIMORE - Richmond (2-0) took a late first quarter lead and maintained it through the final 45 minutes, as the visiting Spiders edged UMBC men's lacrosse, 7-5, in the Retrievers' season opener.

UMBC junior goalkeeper Connor Gordon (Bourne, Mass.) excelled in the cage for the hosts, making 12 saves in 60 minutes of work. Junior attackman Max Maxwell (Hamburg, N.Y.) was the Retrievers' lone multiple-point scorer, posting a goal and an assist.

Richmond's Alex Hatem and Teddy Hatfield led a balanced Spider attack with two goals each and netminder Benny Pugh collected eight saves.

UMBC senior midfielder Jack Gannon (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) gave his side its lone lead of the game, scoring the game's first goal at the 8:34 mark of the first quarter. Gannon collected the rebound after his  first shot hit the post and beat Pugh with a low shot on a man-up opportunity.

But Hatfield would tie the game with just 1:31 to play in the quarter and Hatem tallied with 40 seconds remaining to give UR a 2-1 lead after 15 minutes.

The Spiders won four of five second quarter draws and scored 11 seconds apart early in the second quarter to take a 4-1 lead. However, this time, the Retrievers struck twice late in the second quarter to draw within 4-3 at the break. Maxwell flipped in a shot from close range with 2:38 remaining and freshman midfielder Jack Andrews (Arnold, Md./St. Mary's) scored on a fast break with 11 seconds to play to give UMBC momentum heading into the locker room.

But UMBC came out sluggishly and UR took advantage, scoring just 30 seconds into the third stanza on a Hatfield tally. The Spiders took advantage of nine third quarter turnovers by UMBC to build the lead to 7-3 with 2:53 to play in the quarter.

The Retrievers attempted to battle back, as freshman middie Billy Nolan (Crofton, Md./Arundel) posted UMBC's second man-up goal of the day with 1:49 remaining and the Spiders' lead was shaved to 7-4 after 45 minutes.

UMBC senior midfielder Steve Winsor (Chapel Hill, N.C.) seemed to keep that momentum going with a rocket from just inside the box on a break just 1:08 into the quarter. Richmond would win the ensuing draw and limited the Retrievers to only two shots the rest of the way. UMBC took a penalty with 87 seconds and were unable to get the ball back until a few seconds remained.

Richmond outshot UMBC, 35-24 and won the ground ball (34-16) and face-off battles (10-6) as well.

The Retrievers were very good on special teams, scoring on two-of-three man-up situations and blanking Richmond in their four chances with the extra-man.

UMBC heads to Columbus, Ohio to face Ohio State on Friday, Feb. 26 at 5:00 p.m. The game will be televised by ESPNU.