UMBC Athletics Celebrates the Class of 2012
- UMBC Student-Athletes Featured in the Class of 2012
- Photo Gallery-UMBC Senior Breakfast and Graduation Photos
BALTIMORE—On Monday, May 21, 2012, UMBC celebrated its 58th commencement exercises. Among the 1,252 undergraduates receiving their diplomas at the First Mariner Arena that afternoon were 59 student-athletes who represented the school with class and dignity for the past four or five years.
The Class of 2012 is a very accomplished group, both on and off the court. Among those who graduated were:
- 12 America East All-Conference honorees
- Six America East All-Academic squad members
- Six school record holders
- 19 America East champions
- One Academic All-District honorees – Joe Adewumi (men’s tennis)
- The Female Coaches’ Award recipient at the 2012 America East Swimming and Diving Championship and the 2011 Female Swimmer of the Championships – Abbey McKenney
- The 2011 America East Conference Men’s Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year- Dan Louisignau
- Two Arthur Ashe, Jr. Sports Scholars – Adewumi and Iman Kennedy (volleyball)
In addition, 10 student-athletes graduated with honors, including five cum laude and five magna cum laude. A total of 29 have been recognized on the America East Academic Honor Roll during their tenure.
One former Retriever, Matt Spadafora, earned his master’s degrees in economic policy analysis.
Four student-athletes – Kennedy, track and field’s Kiki Malomo-Paris, women’s soccer’s Aly Gazarek, and men’s soccer’s Miguel Calderón of the prestigious Phi Kappa Phi honor society, while volleyball’s Allie Spaay became a member of the Golden Key International Honor Society.
Kennedy and Malomo-Paris and UMBC Athletics’ Video Coordinator Zachary Seidel were recognized as members of the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa honor society
Gazarek is also a member of the National College Athlete Honor Society, (Chi Alpha Sigma) which recognizes those students who receive a varsity letter while maintaining a 3.4 or higher cumulative GPA throughout their junior and/or senior years.
In addition, 22 Retriever student-athletes graduated in December 2011, bringing the total for the 2011-12 academic year to 81. Soccer’s Vince Savarese, a December graduate, was named the Outstanding Senior in the MBA Preparatory Studies program.